[yt-dev] Clumps, parallel

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:45:03 PDT 2012

Hi, All--

What's the current state of the art with regard to parallel clump
finding?  Out of curiosity, I did a clumpfind blocked into octant, and
I found super-linear scaling (non-scientific, my 512^3 wouldn't finish
in 24 hours, but each octant ran in 30 minutes).  Now I have these
clumps, and I'd like to sew them together.  So I have a couple
questions:

1.) What's the easiest way to join two extracted sets?  I figure I can
take these 8 sets and sew them together pretty easy ex-post-facto.  If
there's a tool that does
new_joined_thing = yt.join( clump1.data, clump2.data)
then writing the machinery to sort out which clumps hit which faces is
pretty easy, as is sewing together the various joined things into a
clump hierarchy.

2.) Is there anything about the countour finder that would not block
decompose like this?

3.) Has anyone made any progress on things like this?

d.

--
Sent from my computer.