[yt-dev] EPS writer

Geoffrey So gsiisg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:31:43 PST 2012

Hi, I guess this question mainly goes to John Wise,

I currently have two columns of data I am plotting with matplotlib calls,
but if I save them as EPS the file size is ~1.5 MB instead of png as ~35KB,
is there a simple way to save them as EPS format, with PNG graph but LaTeX
text for the axis in YT?

During your latest YT workshop talk, you showed how we can create EPS
images using PlotCollection png phase graph with LaTeX text, which is
exactly what I wanted to do for my publication to bring down the image file
size... Except my graphs were created from 2 columns of data (derived using
YT but plotted with matplotlib) and not the PlotCollection engine.  Can the
png be inserted to PlotCollection to take advantage of the EPS writer?

Other suggestions, comments are welcomed (such as not even bother worrying
about the file size, or this is beyond the scope of YT).

From
G.S.

PS.  I've tried using the cmap=gray in the imshow call, and that cuts the
file size down to 0.5MB, but colored plots are so much nicer!