[yt-dev] Transfer Function Plots

Richard P Wagner rpwagner at sdsc.edu
Fri Jun 8 13:12:46 PDT 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Nathan Goldbaum wrote:

I'd prefer it if the transfer function plot were split into two separate frames.  Right now, it's easy to think that the black background color image contains opacity information since the frame is plotted with a y axis.  I'd prefer it if only the white line was plotted with a y axis and the black background image was plotted in a separate frame like a color bar with no y axis.  This would also let the user see the tick marks for the opacity plot much more easily.

In general, I like plotting the transfer function like a color bar (sort of like Stella Offner's image on the yt homepage [http://yt-project.org/img/offner_etal.png]).

That's what came to mind when I was reading this. For a while, we've been putting a combination color bar-transfer function graphic in our renderings with ANL (skip about 30 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dOt0IaRY4U). I think it's very natural to overlay a transfer function plot onto a color bar, and it provides a lot of information in a simple fashion.

--Rick

Nathan Goldbaum
Graduate Student
Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC