[yt-dev] Downgrading Grid Resolution in yt

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 1 08:53:50 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a way to universally downgrade the grid refinement
by 1 level in yt (for an enzo output)?  I know that one can resample an
output to any arbitrary maximum refinement level using a covering grid
(or a smoothed covering grid), but the result only "downgrades" data at
the highest levels of refinement.  What I'm instead looking for is a
method to "downgrade" the resolution of the data at every grid element
regardless of its refinement.

For example, if I have a two adjacent grids, one with 10 levels of
refinement and the other with 3, I would like them resampled at 9 and 2,
respectively, as opposed to 9 and 3, which is what happens in the case
of the covering grid.  Additionally, it might be nice to retain the AMR
structure of the original output, so that the memory consumption is
relatively low (much lower than an equivalent covering grid).

This technique would be very useful for resolution studies to determine
the effects of poorer resolution on post-processing analysis.  Anyway,
has anyone played around with this?  If not, I'll look into writing
something up in the next few weeks, but I figured I'd ask.

Cameron

--
Cameron Hummels
PhD Candidate, Astronomy Department of Columbia University