[yt-dev] Fwd: New Journal: Astronomy and Computing

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:05:34 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM, j s oishi <jsoishi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to take this
>> opportunity to suggest that sometime in the not-too-distant future we
>> discuss submitting a paper -- either to an OA-friendly venue like Sam
>> has suggested or to a domain-specific conference -- with contributions
>> from (and credit to) the yt development community.
>
> Interesting. What would it document?

Since the ApJS method paper came out, we've had a number of
improvements.  (For reference, when the method paper came out, we had
released version 1.7.
http://yt-project.org/docs/2.3/reference/changelog.html )  Not all of
these items are worthy of detailed algorithmic description, but the
code has changed considerably in the nearly two years since the paper
was submitted.  There have also been some major successes that could
be reported on, depending on the venue -- for instance the workshop,
the Blue Waters inline analysis, and so on.

Were it to be delayed until a 3.0 release, the geometry refactor is
also worthwhile, as that would change much of the text included in the
original method paper.  Same for GDF developments.

>From my perspective, the most important thing is having a document of
record that contributors that joined or began being active *after* the
method paper came out would be credited on.