[yt-dev] Fwd: [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 02:23:20 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM
Subject: [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1
To: astropy-dev at googlegroups.com, astropy at scipy.org

Hello all,

On behalf of the Astropy team, I'm excited to announce the first
release of the Astropy core package: v0.1!

The Astropy core package is intended to provide much of the common
functionality and tools needed for performing astronomy and
astrophysics with Python.

This release should be thought of as a "developer preview" - it has
much of the packaging and data handling framework in place, but the
actual astronomy functionality and frameworks are still incomplete.
Nevertheless, you can already make use of the existing functionality,
which is fully tested. Key features include:

* Standard cosmological distance calculations (astropy.cosmology)
* Data Tables (astropy.table) including a wide variety of ASCII
formats common in astronomy (astropy.io.ascii)
* FITS File handling - formerly PyFITS (astropy.io.fits)
* VOTable parser and writer (astropy.io.vo)
* WCS representations - formerly pywcs (astropy.wcs)
* Consistent documentation style
* Utilities to ease creation of new, independent packages (affiliated packages)
* A dedicated logging system

The package can be downloaded from
http://github.com/downloads/astropy/astropy/astropy-0.1.tar.gz . More
information is available at the Astropy site ( http://astropy.org ),
the package documentation ( http://docs.astropy.org ), and the
github repository ( http://github.com/astropy/astropy ).

We also encourage developers writing new packages to begin writing the
code against this version. Packages making use of Astropy should feel
free to join up as affiliated packages and begin transitioning to the
affiliated package template
( https://github.com/astropy/package-template ). In the next version,
we hope to implement a working affiliated package installer, so it will
be worth your while!

For the Astropy developers,
Erik Tollerud