[yt-dev] Finishing up the 2.4 release

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:37:09 PDT 2012

Hey everybody,

I hope you're all enjoying your weekend and don't mind taking some time
out of it to think about yt.

Right now there are only three open tickets for the 2.4 release:

1. The entropy field in non-enzo data
2. Transfer function bounds
3. Volume rendering docs

I think these tickets are things that are fixable on a short timescale.
Sam, please let us know if you need more time or help with the volume
rendering docs.

We've put a lot of time into updating the cookbook and making sure the
scripts produce good-looking images based on a variety of datasets.  The
latest version of the docs is available here:
http://yt-project.org/docs/2.4/

I'm curious how everyone feels about setting a time aside sometime this
week to do the official release.  I think the release will attract more
eyeballs if we can point to screencasts about some of the new
functionality, including (but not limited to, see the changelog
<http://yt-project.org/docs/2.4/changelog.html#version-2-4> for the full
[really extensive and impressive] list of changes):

1. Threaded volume renderer
2. Plot window
3. Improved time series analysis
4. Improved extjs4 reason
5. The new yt hub

I'm planning on doing a plot window screencast this afternoon. Does
anyone else want to claim one of the features?

Lastly, I contacted Kelle Cruz at astrobetter about going a guest post
about the yt 2.4 release.  She is interested - all she needs from us is
a google doc with a draft of the post, including text embedded videos,
and urls.  I'm going to begin the write up sometime this week and then
share the google doc on the yt-dev list so that others can contribute.

The end is in sight!  This will be by far the best release of yt yet :)

Cheers,

Nathan