[yt-dev] Docs and 2.4 roundup (help!)

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:19:46 PDT 2012

Hi all,

There's been a flurry of activity on the docs this week.

 * All the cookbook recipes have been moved into the docs and the
cookbook shut down.  We now have 45 cookbook recipes, and they're
integrated much better into the docs.
 * Most of the docs have been rewritten to remove PlotCollection
 * The data index is now part of the website repo.  It's up, but the
files are still copying.

Here's my current draft of the changelog for 2.4.  Did I forget anything?

https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt-doc/src/b57d3621ff70/source/changelog.rst

We're just about good to go.  These things still need to be done:

 * Rewrite the remaining docs that use PlotCollection.  Specifically,
orientation/making_plots.rst needs to be completely redone.  Can
someone volunteer to rewrite this document?
 * Volume rendering docs need to be rewritten en masse, as they are
quite out of date and don't reflect best practices or new
functionality (ticket #382).
 * Do we want to put answer testing docs in for this release, or
should we push that off to a point release at a slightly later date?
 * Write docs about the Hub, which I will do.
 * Check to make sure that everything that SHOULD be documented in the
API docs IS documented.

In the past we've also talked about slides demonstrating new
functionality, as well as the possibility of doing screencasts.  I'm
going to throw together some HTML slides, but if anybody wants to do a
screencast that would be outstanding.  We actually have gotten *many*
views in the past of screencasts.

I think that's about it.  There are two additional technical tickets
that should be addressed:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/401/entropy-field-does-not-work-for-non-enzo
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/390/transfer-function-bounds

I can do the second, but I don't know what to do about the first.

Thanks all,