[yt-dev] Data downloader

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:11:09 PDT 2012

Hi all,

For the workshop we used a download.py script written by Stephen to
get all of the data, which was tarred up and put into subdirectories.
John ZuHone and I have been trying to add more sample data, so that
people can (if they like) get started right away with using yt.  All
of the cookbook recipes have been or are being rewritten to use larger
datasets than the old RD0005 item, and many are being switched to use
FLASH data instead of Enzo data.  All in all, we're trying to push
pretty hard to make the cookbook more useful.

One question that's come up is: do we want to continue using
download.py?  The burden on uploaders is moderately higher, in that
the files all have to be tarred up in a particular way, and they have
to be added to download.py, but it does provide a measure of
robustness.  If we do this, can we move download.py into the main
distribution, under scripts/ ?  Stephen, John, others who have used
the script, what do you think about this?