[yt-dev] Prep for 2.4

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:03:41 PDT 2012

Hi all,

A few of us have been working on documentation in preparation for
releasing yt 2.4.  I believe docs are the major change at this point,
and once we have those in line we can pull the trigger.  The items
below still need to be handled, and we'd really appreciate anybody
that wants to pitch in.  The doc repository is at
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt-doc .  Please feel free to add
items, edit existing docs, remove cruft, and whatever else seems
appropriate.

1) Every single function or class imported in yt.mods needs to have at
least a simple docstring that summarizes what it does.  I'd prefer
these all be of the numpy docstring standard (see
docs/example_docstring.rst)

Can a few volunteers examine the stuff in yt/mods.py and see if they
can help out adding docstrings?

2) What used to be "cookbook examples" in the docs are being
transformed into "simple scripts," and cookbook scripts are being
pulled out and put in a different place (you can see this in the
yt_analysis/cookbook repo, which will have something like this:
http://yt-project.org/cookbook/ ) .  The simple scripts are being
converted to use the more complex datasets from the workshop datasets.
 Each will then be included manually.  Nathan and I are handling
these.

If anyone wants to take a crack at adding more *simple* scripts to
both source/cookbook/ as .py files, that would be helpful.  We could
use things like "getting enclosed mass" and "how to save out profiles
to disk" and "setting colorbars" and whatnot, but nothing too complex.

3) The workshop page still has to be added -- this is basically a
version of this section: http://yt-project.org/workshop2012/#workshop
where we have a list

4) The narrative docs should be converted to reference PlotWindow,
rather than PlotCollection (wherever possible, although for now
callbacks do not work with PlotWindow).  I think Nathan might tackle
this.

5) The Volume Rendering docs need to be updated to be, well, in line
with current best practices.

6) Low-level data inspection docs should be added.

7) ...anything else?

=

Here are the remaining tickets:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues?status=new&status=open&milestone=2.4

and the current draft of the changelog:
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/MfdV3E8s2H7pc1pC3mVp/  .  If you have
additions, please feel free to reply with them!

I'm going to prepare some (html) slides that lay out new features,
describe changes in behavior, and have examples.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?