[yt-dev] Unit conversions in frontends

Casey W. Stark caseywstark at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 16:38:04 PST 2012

Hi all.

I'm a bit confused about the unit mechanics in yt right now. I noticed
there's a convert_function for fields, but there are also the units,
time_units, and conversion_factors attributes for StaticOutput.

For the Nyx frontend, I have added convert_function's for each field to
convert the cosmological units into CGS. This works in my fork now and
everything is in cgs and plots fine. Now I know I need to update the
_set_units method of NyxStaticOutput, but I'm not sure what to do with
those attributes and how they are used later.

Best,
Casey