[yt-dev] strict and unstrict regions, periodic regions

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:31:39 PST 2012

Hi Britton,

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Geoffrey and all,
>
> Including cells if just a piece of them is inside the region does not really
> change the computation time.  It's just a matter of adding or subtracting
> dx/2 when considering a given cell.

That's definitely true for region calculations; for spheres I think GS
is right that the computation is increased, but I think it would be <<
8x with some optimizations applied since we're largely dealing with
regularly shaped objects.

> The difference between the two options is mostly academic, I think.  I would
> say it's more important to stick to a consistent definition for all data
> containers.  How are spheres and disks treated?  Is it only cell centers
> there?  If so, let's stick with that.

The only one that doesn't do strictly based on cell-centers is the
(non-strict) region.  I'm also in favor of consistency.

-Matt

> Britton
>

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Geoffrey So <gsiisg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Center would be better I agree, checking if all edges is just multiplying
>> the same calculation by 8.
>>
>> From
>> G.S.

>>> I would say that if the center of the cell is inside the sphere,
>>> include it. I think anything more complicated won't be any better, but
>>> more difficult.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Stephen Skory
>>> s at skory.us