[yt-dev] Boundary Conditions

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:05:55 PST 2012

Hi all,

What's the best way to handle boundary conditions?  I was thinking
mainly, what's the smallest signal we can send -- typically into
Cython routines that might need to iterate -- that indicates, "wrap
this around the edge in this dimension"?

Essentially I think there are two main cases we need to consider for
the purposes of what yt wants, which are:

1) Periodic along an axis
2) Non-periodic (inflow, isolated) on an axis

This shows up for the plotting routines, vertex-centering of data, and
a handful of other things.  I'm not sure how to handle this the best.
If we really have only these options (and I'm not a 100% on that) then
would it work to have a simple array of axes that hangs off the
hierarchy object, which is 0 for non-periodic on an axis and 1 for
periodic?