[yt-dev] Coordinate handling pull request

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:52:04 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Casey W. Stark <caseywstark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Matt.
>
> I think this would be a big improvement, but I was wondering how it
> interacts with other yt pieces. Does each output have geometry and
> coordinate_handler objects as attributes?

Yup, that is the plan.  The idea is that we move all of the IO and
particle/fluid selection into the geometry handler, and the handling
of spatial layout to the coordinate handler.  This would mean, for
instance, that we could push periodicity as well as path length into
the coordinate handler; this would remove some of the need to
constantly do wraparound checks and the like.

There is still somewhat the issue that *selection* of points to
understand coordinate systems, which will require a bit more thought
in the future but I think is still a tractable problem.

> Is it possible to replace axis_name, axis_id, x_axis, and y_axis with only
> axis_names = ['x', ...]?

It is, but not with abc.abstractproperty.  (Initially I figured the
cost of creating the dicts was low enough that we could do this to
avoid worrying about mutable, class-level properties, but I think
perhaps I like yours better.)  I'll remove some of the fancier
ABC-stuff and slim it down.