[yt-dev] yt for lagrangian hydro

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:54:20 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,

That helps a lot to clarify things.  Unfortunately it also makes it clear
that right now I think (and others could chime in) that this would be
difficult to get full functionality out of yt for your data.  Right now yt
is only capable of handling particle or rectangular solid zones (elements,
cells), and doesn't know how to handle complicated mesh geometries.  This
means that things like slices, projections, and volume renderings would be
difficult to get going.

However, I think you might be able to get minimal functionality for things
like profiles.  You would need to over-ride how x,y,z positions are
calculated, but you could then do things like
http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/simple_plots.html#simple-phase-plots

Anyways, I think this would be difficult right now until yt handles meshes
in a more explicit fashion.  Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Best,
Sam