[yt-dev] [enzo-dev] Some useful mercurial extensions

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 19:23:11 PDT 2012

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for sending this out!  I wanted to share that yt installs (if
you run "yt bootstrap_dev" two other extensions, which let you
interact with bitbucket, and put in a plug for the "remotebranches"
extension, which you have to install yourself.

With yt you get the BitBucket extension and the cedit extension.  So
with cedit you can do:

hg addsource some_name https://some/place

and then it shows up in your pull/push.  So this is a good way to
interact with forks!

You can also create bitbucket repos from the command line with "hg
bbcreate" and you can see incoming/outgoing changesets with "hg
bbforks".  The help functions for these have a few more options.

And, remotebranches might be my new favorite.  You can get it here:
https://bitbucket.org/durin42/hg-remotebranches

What it does is, if you have aliases (either from editing .hg/hgrc
yourself or by using addsource above) for different repos, it tracks
with fake tags the tip of each.  So now in my yt repo I have (for
instance)

[22:21][~/yt/yt]$ hg tags
ytanalysis/yt                   6237:1b4b1087f896
tip                             6237:1b4b1087f896
ytanalysis/stable               6233:e6227ef4338b
ytanalysis/geometry_handling    5660:2d81eb713419

The tags ytanalysis/yt , ytanalysis/stable and
ytanalysis/geometry_handling mean the tips of each of those branches
in the repo aliased as ytanalysis.  This is a super easy way to track
what's the tip of different branches in each repo that you commonly
push/pull from.

-Matt