[yt-dev] 3.0 planning

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:28:10 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Yesterday in IRC Kacper and I chatted a bit about planning,
particularly as it applies to development of yt 3.0.  Planning in this
case serves two purposes -- to make others aware of who is doing what,
and to solicit feedback on design decisions that might affect people.
After
going back and forth, it seems like a combination of wiki pages and
issues would be good places to have planning documents and ideas
stored.  Nathan also brought up in IRC that while many people may be
interested in what's going on, it seems as though the changes in 3.0
are probably too invasive or not ready yet for general use.  That's
sort of true, but things are stabilizing.  I'm not going to include a
status update here, but I will once it has settled down a bit.

I've created two wiki pages:

 * https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/wiki/GoalsFor30 (almost
verbatim from the google doc we collaboratively created a few months
ago)
 * https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/wiki/PlanFor30 (an update from
my earlier email, including a somewhat revised timeline)

I'd really like to request that if you would like to update these
pages, that you do so.  You can use either the web interface or clone
and edit.  The wiki could also be a good place to record decisions
made here on the mailing list about design aspects -- as an example,
the other thread about coordinate systems.  If somebody wants to take
on fixing up the wiki as a project, that would be awesome as well.