[yt-dev] rockstar halo finder

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Thu Aug 16 13:55:43 PDT 2012

Hi Chris,

> I've had a patch where the OVERLAP_LENGTH is changed to zero, but I'll PR it
> shortly. It was used when Rockstar was operating on Bolshoi, which is broken
> up into 125 spatial volumes for every snapshot. Rockstar then tries to load
> in the neighboring cells, but everything yt feeds it should be
> single-domain.
>
> Anyway, let me PR this and see if that fixes things.

I'll give your changeset a shot soon.

I wanted to provide an update on my Mac OS X investigations. I've
discovered that the crash I reported with my most recent message
happens when I use 2 cores. Specifically, using 2 cores causes a crash
at "self.pool.add_workgroup(self.num_writers, name = "writers")" in
the run() command because self.num_writers is 0. I'm not familiar
enough with rockstar to know if 2 cores is too few or not, or with the
pool mechanism to know what's going on. Any comments?

If anyone has any bright ideas on how to ensure librockstar.so is
referenced correctly from rockstar_interface.so on a Mac, let me know!

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us
http://stephenskory.com/