[yt-dev] plot window preferences

Devin Silvia devin.silvia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:12:12 PDT 2012

I'm not entirely sure of what the best solution is for this issue, but
I'm game for adding that to **kwargs.  We might want to think more
about a solution to producing fixed image sizes (preferable!) with
length-width ratios perhaps based on their proximity to the aspect
ratio of the domain.  I'm guessing there will still be situations in
which axis labels end up cutoff, but a solution that is completely
free of drawbacks might not exist.  I'm glad that rectangular domains
now are handled more naturally in yt though!  Thanks Sam.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm okay with it being added to PW.save(), although with the new
> PlotWindow it is so easy to iterate over axes and figures that maybe
> we should encourage that.  I'd also be *very* +1 on not having
> differing image sizes!
>
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Sam Skillman <samskillman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As it currently stands, PlotWindow now saves with the bbox_inches='tight'.
>> This can unfortunately lead to different images sizes based on whether or
>> not the text labels and colorbar tick labels extend too far.  This gets
>> annoying if you want to make a movie with frames where the limits change.
>>
>> Would there be any objection to adding a **kwargs to the end of PW.save()
>> that gets passed through to canvas.savefig?  That way we can accept things
>> like bbox_inches directly in the PW.save().
>>
>> +/- 1 ?
>>
>> Sam

"I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way."