[yt-dev] Forthon issues

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Tue Aug 7 13:03:00 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Some problems Sam was having with the fortan kdtree has alerted me to
some necessary changes due to changes in Forthon. Two of them are
simple. One is to remove a --with-numpy flag in the Makefile. The
second is that the most recent version of Forthon (0.8.9) builds the
fKDpy.so object in it's own build/lib.arch.../ directory, not in the
same directory as the Makefile. This is easily fixed by a change to
the setup.py file in yt/utilities. I will issue a PR for this
depending on the discussion of the following issue.

The not-simple change is that the newest Forthon setup.py is
hard-coded to install the Forthon package for the system Python,
regardless of which actual Python stack you're using, which is not
convenient for our custom-curated yt stack. The fix is to simply
remove the hard-coding. But I want to ask y'all what the best course
forward from here is: A) ask the author to change it, B) make the
change in the Forthon linked to in the install_script, or C) stick to
the old version for now?

Thanks!

--
Stephen Skory