[yt-dev] Near- and mid-term roadmap: 2.4, 2.x, 3.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:51:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Samuel W Skillman
<Samuel.Skillman at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sam,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Sam Skillman <samskillman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > My goals for 2.5:
>> >
>> > Re-written, modularized, amr_kdtree.  This will allow for kd-tree decomp
>> > of
>> > generalized collections of grids as well as future optimization, as well
>> > as
>> > parallelization over arbitrary N processors, not just power of 2!
>> > Alpha channel integration for the rendering, allowing for easier control
>> > of
>> > opaque and transparent features in the same image.
>>
>> This sounds really awesome.
>>

>> > Neither of these necessarily belong in the 3.0 development IMO, but I
>> > could
>> > be convinced to work in that sandbox.  Both of these are working in an
>> > alpha
>> > state right now.
>>
>> I agree, these don't *need* to be in 3.0, so let's wait till that
>> branch is feature complete before I start selling you on moving the
>> dev there.  :)
>

> Sounds good.
>

>> ...but ... do you think the walk and the decomp could be separated, so
>> we could feed it an octree?  In the 3.0 branch I've got an oct
>> geometry handler which could potentially be instrumented with the
>> necessary additional info to allow fast traversal...
>

> Yes.  I think it should be straightforward to write a modified decomp for
> octree that retains the reduction methods for combining the final image.
> Then we can just pass each unit of octree to the fast traversal, whatever
> that ends up being.

Maybe this is what you are already thinking -- but perhaps
restructuring the way the camera is setup could follow something like:

1) Decompose volume based on data source
2) Setup image plane
3) Traverse volume

And that step 1 could call a method on the geometry handler, which
would dispatch differently for the Octs versus for the Patch
refinement.