[yt-dev] Interacting with data in yt 3.0 (was Field units from code to code)

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:29:54 PDT 2012

Hi Sam,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Sam Skillman <samskillman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back to the point...
>
> That looks great, Matt.  I'll get some stuff going on libyt/gdf when I get
> the chance.  I will also return to finishing up my part of the volume
> rendering refactor, which I think just needs to be touched up and would
> probably be ready for something more like 2.4.

Awesome!  I think this definitely should aim for 2.4.  For those of
you reading along that haven't been following the vr-refactor
bookmark, the basic idea is that volume rendering is now separated
into traversal and accumulator functions.  The accumulator functions
are all written in nogil Cython, which allows them to be threaded.
Additionally, operations like off-axis projections now do not
interpolate (or evaluate the transfer function) and so they operate
much faster.  So combine both the optimized accumulator/samplers with
threading, and you get much improved speed.  (For off-axis projections
-- again, no longer interpolated -- this translated in my tests to
~20x.)  Also, for some operations (out-of-order, which include the old
style volume renderings with no alpha blending!) no longer does the
volume need to be homogenized; it can just be fed in directly with
vertex centered data.

Sam's also done a lot of work to improve the functionality of the
volume renderer; last I remember he had a pretty nice looking
opaque-surface with specular lighting.

When 2.4 goes out we should also include some benchmarking data that
shows off the speed increase, as well as the new capabilities.

-Matt