[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:20:37 PDT 2011

> Dave, you're right, I misread.  How much time can we get?  I'm not
> sure what the limits are for the remaining types-of-meetings
> available.  There are a few other venues we could explore in Austin,
> as well.

I had nixed it first, too, since I was looking for workshops.  I'll
email the contact person and see what the skinny is.

> I'm still personally mostly in favor of EC2, I think, because I
> believe it will be easier for people to integrate into their existing
> workflow -- sshing into EC2 is probably a bit less invasive than
> rebooting with a USB drive.  I might be off-base though, and it would
> be less robust for network interruptions.

I think EC2 is definitely a useful idea.  Can you have a setup where
everyone gets their own accounts, but the environment is centrally
visible?  Also if one is allowed to run screen on ec2, then network
interuuptions aren't _that_ big a deal...

Would it be possible to have just the yt stack installed on a thumb
drive, and not a whole linux distro, so users mount the drive then do
something like "source /thumbdrive/ytsetup" to set up their
environment?  I'm not familiar enough with the dependencies of yt.  I
agree that a full reboot is a hassle, esp. for those of using osx
(unless that's something that can be done...)

> I think the idea is to have them pre-prepared to save time and to boot
> onto, in case of network issues.  I don't know how we would integrate
> that with mirroring onto personal USBs.
>
> -Matt
>

>> From
>> G.S.

>>> To pile onto this, if we choose to go that way I can get MSU to donate a
>>> big pile of thumb drives, though they will have some combination of MSU,
>>> ICER and Physics Department logos slapped onto them...  :-)

Sent from my computer.