[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:32:38 PDT 2011

> http://aas.org/meetings/winter_session_organizer_deadlines.php
>
> Although I do agree, it would be nice, even if it is a bit late.  (One
> point twenty one gigawatts?!)  The other option if we wanted to

We're too late for workshops, but (unless I'm reading something worng)
we have until december 1 for a splinter meeting (to be honest I can't
tell what the difference is between the two, but I don't believe in
following rules all that closely.)

Southwest goes to Austin, which is my preferred airline.  So I could
+1 Austin with ease.  I haven't had a good slice of hipster in years.

> This is a very good idea.  Maybe we could try it with Amazon EC2?  I
> have had success building an AMI in the past, and it's very easy to
> do...  although not free, and not local.  I do though like the idea of
> thumb drives...  and I can't imagine it wouldn't be an interactive
> workshop!

That might be rad, if the network connection is reasonable-- If we had
50 users for an 8 hour meeting and can swing the cheap option, that's
only $35.   Show me 50 thumb drives for $35 and I'll show you 2 thumb
drives and a pile of plastic.  Also windows users could get on with
putty, if there are any of those.

> -Matt
>

>> d.
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Alright, so it looks at this point like most people on this list are in
>>> favor of having a workshop sometime next year and in a place that is cheap
>>> for people to get to.  As discussed earlier in this thread, it would be good
>>> to start this whole thing with a users workshop to get more people involved
>>> and to get them turned into developers if we can.  I think the next step is
>>> to see how interested users would be in attending such a thing.  I will do
>>> this now and we can pick up again once we see what users are feeling.
>>>
>>> Britton

>> --
>> Sent from my computer.

Sent from my computer.