[Yt-dev] yt-2.2 Release Announcement

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 2 08:24:07 PDT 2011

Oops, the link to the yt GUI screencast got stripped out of the last
email with that poor formatting. Here you go:

http://vimeo.com/groups/ytgallery/videos/28506477

-----

Release Announcement

(Please feel encouraged to forward this message to any other interested
parties.)

We are proud to announce the release of yt version 2.2. This release
includes several new features, bug fixes, and numerous improvements to
the code base and documentation. At the new yt homepage,
http://yt-project.org/, an installation script, a cookbook,
documentation and a guide to getting involved can be found. We are
particularly proud of the new GUI, entitled “Reason,” which allows
real-time exploration of datasets, and which can be used (locally or
remotely over SSH) with no dependencies other than a web browser. A
basic demonstration of its usage can be found at
http://vimeo.com/groups/ytgallery/videos/28506477.

yt is a community-developed analysis and visualization toolkit for
astrophysical simulation data. yt provides full support for Enzo, Orion,
Nyx, and FLASH codes, with preliminary support for the RAMSES, ART, and
Maestro codes. It can be used to create many common types of data
products such as:

* Slices
* Projections
* Profiles
* Arbitrary Data Selection
* Cosmological Analysis
* Halo finding
* Parallel AMR Volume Rendering
* Gravitationally Bound Objects Analysis

There are a few major additions since yt-2.1 (Released April 8, 2011),
including:

* New web GUI “Reason,” designed for efficient remote usage over SSH
tunnels
* Command-line submission to the yt Hub (http://hub.yt-project.org/)
* Absorption line spectrum generator for cosmological simulations
* Support for the Nyx code
* An order of magnitude speed improvement in the RAMSES support
* Experimental interoperability with ParaView
* Quad-tree projections, speeding up the process of projecting by up to
an order of magnitude and providing better load balancing
* “mapserver” for in-browser, Google Maps-style slice and projection
visualization
* Many bug fixes and performance improvements

With this release, we also unveil the yt Hub, an astrophysical
simulation-specific location for sharing scripts, analysis and
visualization tools, documents and repositories used to generated
publications. The yt Hub has been designed to allow programmatic access
from the command line, and we encourage you to browse the current
offerings and contribute your own. The yt Hub can be found at
http://hub.yt-project.org/.

Documentation: http://yt-project.org/doc/
Installation:http://yt-project.org/doc/advanced/installing.html
Cookbook: http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/recipes.html
Get Involved:http://yt-project.org/doc/advanced/developing.html

If you can’t wait to get started, install with:

$ wget http://hg.yt-project.org/yt/raw/stable/doc/install_script.sh
$ bash install_script.sh

Development has been sponsored by the NSF, DOE, and University funding.
We invite you to get involved with developing and using yt!

Please forward this announcement to interested parties.

Sincerely,

The yt development team