[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:10:04 PDT 2011

> > I was talking with someone here who went to a numerical workshop, and
> > they handed out thumbdrives with full linux distros on them, so
> > everyone had the same environment.  If there's money for something
> > like that, it might be fun to have a full yt stack on thumb drives to
> > minimize the startup cost at the workshop, if we want an interactive
> > portion for new users.
>
> This is a very good idea.  Maybe we could try it with Amazon EC2?  I
> have had success building an AMI in the past, and it's very easy to
> do...  although not free, and not local.  I do though like the idea of
> thumb drives...  and I can't imagine it wouldn't be an interactive
> workshop!

To this end, somebody at MSU (Dirk Colbry) has taken to doing precisely the
same thing for people who go to Teragrid/XSEDE/whateverthehell workshops
here at Michigan State.  He loves it and is very fond of doing it.  If this
is something that seems interesting to people, I can ask him about the
setup, and what it would take to make a yt-specific one. I get the
impression it isn't that hard!

Brian