[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:05:28 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM, david collins <antpuncher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had two dumb ideas:
>
> Do y'all think it might work as a splinter meeting off the winter AAS
> workshop?  As Britton said, a lot of people might be going to that,
> and making it a splinter meeting on Sunday not only allow us to save
> on travel but also get publicity.

Unfortunately, we're a bit too late:

http://aas.org/meetings/winter_session_organizer_deadlines.php

Although I do agree, it would be nice, even if it is a bit late.  (One
point twenty one gigawatts?!)  The other option if we wanted to
emphasize AAS would be to hold it in Austin but somewhere else,
although I can't speak to the feasibility of this.  We may even
overlap with one of the Enthought-sponsored Austin Python User Group
meetings.

That being said, I'm still rooting for Chicago, even if it's not as
feasible.  ;-)

> I was talking with someone here who went to a numerical workshop, and
> they handed out thumbdrives with full linux distros on them, so
> everyone had the same environment.  If there's money for something
> like that, it might be fun to have a full yt stack on thumb drives to
> minimize the startup cost at the workshop, if we want an interactive
> portion for new users.

This is a very good idea.  Maybe we could try it with Amazon EC2?  I
have had success building an AMI in the past, and it's very easy to
do...  although not free, and not local.  I do though like the idea of
thumb drives...  and I can't imagine it wouldn't be an interactive
workshop!

-Matt