[Yt-dev] Simulation Database

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Tue Sep 6 08:50:38 PDT 2011

Britton,

> If we're going minimal here, then I don't think we need the topgrid
> entries.  In theory, everything one needs to know about The Simulation can
> come from the simulation_uuid.

The idea I had about this database is it may be worth something to
someone someday to be able to easily contrast and compare all the
datasets tracked by the database. In which case, having more
information than just the simulation_uuid would be useful. But I do
agree overall with the idea that less is more, in most cases.

I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be cool to have a universal
database, shared by all machines you use? Then, for example, you could
use that to look up where you stored a dataset (don't tell me you've
never logged into several machines for just that reason). You could
ask "do I have a dataset that's in a box about 500 Mpc/h at z=3, and
where do I have it? And what else can you tell me about those datasets
even though I'm not on that computer right now?" I can't think of any
really good way to do it, other than some ad-hoc Dropbox sync, which
probably raises other issues to do with concurrency and setup costs.
But still, I think it would be cool!

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us