[Yt-dev] new comm problem

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Thu Oct 20 20:06:45 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm finding a problem with the new communicator stuff in
ParallelAnalysisInterface in r322fe24bb0cb. Specifically, .comm is
being initialized to None. With a short script like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

from yt.mods import *
from yt.utilities.parallel_tools.parallel_analysis_interface import \
  ParallelAnalysisInterface

class humbug(ParallelAnalysisInterface):
    def __init__(self):
        pass

bah = humbug()

print bah.comm

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get "None", which is not correct, I think. I've found that if I
modify things to look like this below in
parallel_analysis_interface.py, it works. But I don't think that's how
things are supposed to work. Could someone who understands what's
supposed to happen take a look at this? I suppose _grids and
_distributed would also suffer from the same problem. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

class ParallelAnalysisInterface(object):
    comm = communication_system.communicators[-1]
    _grids = None
    _distributed = None

    def __init__(self):
        self.comm = communication_system.communicators[-1]
        self._grids = self.comm._grids
        self._distributed = self.comm._distributed

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us
http://stephenskory.com/