[Yt-dev] Density Column calculation

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Fri Oct 7 16:03:36 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to calculate the column density around a point
similar to the example in the docs

http://yt-project.org/doc/visualizing/volume_rendering.html#healpix-volume-rendering

but instead of a single surface, I'd like to generate as something
close to a derived field as I can, where the cell values are the
column density from the specified point. I've never worked with the
internals of ray casting in yt, but it seems that it may be possible
to use this interface to accomplish this. Instead of integrating and
stopping the calculation of column density at a surface, I'd like to
be able to get the value of that integral as it goes along all the way
to the surface (or to the edge of the volume), preferably in
cell-centered fashion. Does this make sense?

My specific question is to those who understand ray casting better
than I do. Can you please give me some hints as to where to look so I
can apply this modification? And any thoughts or comments would be
appreciated!

Thanks!

--
Stephen Skory