[Yt-dev] pull requests and their awesomeness

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:12:08 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I just wanted to relate the experience I just had with Matt's pull request
on the isocontour flux calculations.  If you already regard pull requests as
being awesome, you can probably stop reading.

The situation:
Matt had a fairly large set of changes that added new functionality to yt,
and wanted another pair of eyes before pulling it into the main trunk.

The tool: bitbucket pull requests
Matt developed the changes in his fork of the main yt branch, then requested
that they be pulled into the main repo (even though he had the ability to
push directly).

The benefit:
This allowed me to pull down his changes, test them, iterate back and forth
with him, and make comments that now forever live in the "Accepted pull
requests" part of the repo so that anyone can see why that was changed.
 When it was set to go, I just clicked "Accept" and the changes were all
merged in without incident.

Anyways, very effortless way to handle changes that are more than just one
liners and need a collaborative effort before going into the main branch.

Sam