[Yt-dev] yt release discussion

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 07:14:03 PST 2011

Hi all,

We're coming up on a lot of features without another release, so a few of
us were thinking we'd have a release discussion for 2.3.  There are a few
things we should talk about.  One is to cover the outstanding issues and
assign/solve/push them off:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues?status=new&status=open&sort=milestone&milestone=2.3

Another big area of discussion will be on documentation.  Some people have
been quite good about keeping up to date (e.g. Stephen), but a few of us
(including but not limited to me!) have fallen behind on some of the new
features like the new parallelism and testing.  Additionally, Cameron and
Jeff have been working quite a lot on rewriting/reorganizing the
documentation.

If we go back and take a look at a discussion of the roadmap:
http://lists.spacepope.org/pipermail/yt-users-spacepope.org/2011-May/001574.html
it looks like we have gone pretty far away from the original outline of a
2.3 release aka "Brick Trombone", so it is hereby reborn as "Diamond
Manifold".  "Lime Trumpet" (3.0) is slated to conquer non-cartesian
datasets and possibly some new IO subsystems.  Personally I think "Lime
Tuba" is a more fitting name, but that can also be discussed.

New stuff since 2.2:

 * Multi-level parallelism
 * Real, extensive answer tests
 * Boolean data regions
 * Isocontours / flux calculations
 * "deliberate_field" branch merge (pending PR)
 * PHOP memory improvements
 * Bug fixes for tests
 * Parallel data loading for RAMSES, along with other speedups and
improvements there
 * Performance improvements for volume rendering
 * (beta) Rockstar interoperability
 * Adaptive HEALpix support (with a few bugs left)
 * Column density calculations
 * Massive speedup for 1D profiles
 * Lots more, bug fixes etc.  (Including a bug fix for the tests!)

In any case, if anyone wants to discuss what needs to be done and when we
want to roll 2.3 out by, I suggest we have a G+ hangout at the yt page (
https://plus.google.com/107728486871834552760).  I've set up a doodle --
http://www.doodle.com/95f9rccyreundr65 -- if you're interested fill it out
and we'll figure out a time.  Let me know if none of the times are possible.

Sam