[Yt-dev] Releases, pull requests, "governance" ...

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 06:40:13 PDT 2011

Hi all,

There's been some discussion on the Enzo mailing list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/enzo-users/vtlCedbJILU

about the stable/dev branch of yt.  The takeaway is that bugs get
fixed in the dev branch, but since our releases are much less frequent
than that, they don't necessarily get propagated very rapidly to
stable -- in large part because we also weave lots of new development
in and out.  Enzo deals with this by doing all development in forks,
mandating pull requests, and being careful about which items to merge
and when.  It's not clear to me that we could implement that model,
even if we wanted to.  We've had recent success with developing in
forks, issuing pull requests and the like, but there's no codified set
of "when to develop in a fork" guidelines or anything like that.
There've been some rumblings of "governance" discussions about yt, but
nothing ever really formalized.

So I guess what it comes down to -- do we want to start being
aggressive about putting out patch (i.e., 2.2.X) releases?  Do we need
a set of release managers or curators, like there are in Enzo?  When
do we develop in a fork, when do we feel comfortable pushing to the
main repo?  The problem, as I see it, is that in some respects yt
suffers from the same *problems* a project like Enzo does, in that
some pieces of functionality are critical to a few applications, but
it does not have the level of support or engagement as Enzo, so we
don't have as much ability to spread workload around.  Any thoughts on
this?