[Yt-dev] The DTFE Method

Christopher Moody juxtaposicion at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:29:27 PDT 2011

Hi all,
I've been looking at this paper closely and here are my initial thoughts:

- It's unclear to me how the code treats the smoothing length in SPH particles (I don't think it does.) I thought it'd be cool if tried to maintain a minimum S/N, like a 3D version of this http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~mxc/idl/#binning .
- It calculates the interpolated values of fields and gradients, but it'd be hard to calculate stuff like the velocity dispersion or higher moments.
+ You can sample at arbitrary points, which I guess would be the centers of the adaptive mesh
+ Already parallelized, and it seems ready to use as an external reference

Personally, the inability to calculate the velocity dispersion is a serious drawback. Perhaps if it returned the particle IDs that belong to every tessellation, then we could define a field that is a function of those particles, and not some aggregate field estimate. Their method implements the CGAL libraries to do the tessellations (which is where the Boost dep comes in from) - I'm not sure what their DTFE method adds to CGAL.

So the choices are:
1. qhull and voro++ have few dependencies.
2. DTFE seems marginally better than CGAL, and has the same Boost problem. It is the only OpenMP option though.

chris
Okay, okay, I missed that it uses Boost. But there's also Voro++: