[Yt-dev] Request for Review: bootstrap script; also, new 'pasteboards'

Chris Malone chris.m.malone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:49:20 PDT 2011

Hi Matt,

I pulled from your repo and ran the

yt bootstrap_dev

method.  Everything was going fine - it checked out yt-supplemental, looked
at my .hgrc and added my BB username, etc - until it wanted to set up my
pasteboard.  It seems like when it made the hgbb._bb_apicall, it used my
system user name, which is different from my BB username:

I am now going to create the repository:
     chrismalone.bitbucket.org
on BitBucket.org.  This will set up the domain
     http://chrismalone.bitbucket.org
which will point to the current contents of the repo.

Press enter to go on, Ctrl-C to exit.
using system user 'cmalone' as usernamehttp authorization required
realm: None
user: cmalone
password:

Obviously this failed; however, when I ran this a second time it picked up
my correct BB username:

I am now going to create the repository:
     chrismalone.bitbucket.org
on BitBucket.org.  This will set up the domain
     http://chrismalone.bitbucket.org
which will point to the current contents of the repo.

Press enter to go on, Ctrl-C to exit.
http authorization required
realm: None
user: ChrisMalone
password:

and then it worked fine.  I can now use the pasteboard facilities, which are
pretty cool!

I think for the bootstrap utility to be a bit more user-friendly, you might
want to add a bit more description about why the user cares about the
various components that are about to be installed  For example, the user
probably doesn't know that the yt-supplemental repo is where all the hgbb or
pasteboard stuff is contained or why they should want a BB account if they
don't have one already.  This might be too much information to have in the
bootstrap script itself, so perhaps provide a link to a page where these
things are mentioned.

Anyhow, aside from the above (minor) points, I really like the bootstrap
utility.  You've gone out of your way to make sure nothing was done without
the user's permission.

+1

Chris