[Yt-dev] Geometry, RAMSES and non-patch datasets

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:06:44 PDT 2011

Hi Sam,

I'm glad you're interested in helping to develop yt's Ramses
facilities. yt is a community code, and we're always excited to
embiggen that community. However, I think you might want to take a
step back and look at what yt already is and does.

yt is highly optimized already for patch based AMR. We have thought
through these concepts in significant detail, and over the past nearly
5 years we have refactored and optimized the loading of data many
times. I don't know if this is your intention, but you seem to be
suggesting that we have not thought about iterators and where the
bottlenecks lie in our analysis to data pipeline. We did not find it
necessary to jump to C often (we do not use C++ because of portability
issues on some of the supercomputing centers we deploy on). Your
emails seem to suggest you believe a rewrite of many core routines in
C/C++ would be necessary. I think that the Ramses reader could be
brought to speeds comparable to the enzo/orion readers by optimizing
the approach already pursued by those yt frontends. Python has
extremely powerful object orientation; the need for C++ templates is
obviated by those features, and we have already demonstrated that a
small amount of C can go a very long way for speed.

Again, I want to reiterate that we are excited that you are interested
in contributing; I myself am working with a group using Ramses, and it
would be great to have an optimized frontend. I just want to impress
upon you that there is a lot of people in the yt community, and we
have indeed thought many of these issues through. It might be helpful
to take a look at how the code works (there is a sample enzo dataset
in the distribution), and feel free to ask questions on the dev list,
on the user list, and on #yt, if you're into the whole IRC thing.

sincerely,

Jeff Oishi