[Yt-dev] A Mission Statement for yt

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jun 16 19:45:32 PDT 2011

Everyone,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to join this conversation.  I
definitely agree with the things that are being said so far in terms of
the long-term goals of yt.

I might also add that because yt is being developed by/for a community
of scientists, that we may want to mention something about collaboration
in the statement.  Tools like the pastebin, codr.cc, imgur, and soon
Reason will allow real-time interactive collaborations which I think
will really change the picture of computational science.  I don't know
what other people think, but I think this is a great step of progress
for the community.

In addition, yt has a growing user community, and I think one of the
main reasons for that is our group of developers who are actively trying
to make it approachable to the outside world (irc, mailing lists like
this one, square-one documentation, etc.), and I think that is
super-important.  I know yt can do some super cool things, and we're
planning on making it even cooler, but it's important to make it
accessible to new to medium users, so that we continue to expand the
user-community and this doesn't turn into something esoteric like IRAF
or AIPS.  What good are hyper-realistic, volume-rendered, 3d-projected
wormhole movies, if no one else but the author can create them?  Now of
course, that is hyperbole and doesn't apply to the project at this
point, but I think we should include a word or two about actively making
the code usable and approachable to new users.

I've made a new potential draft of the statement below.  Feel free to
modify/delete my changes.  Good suggestions by everyone so far!

Cameron

Draft 2:

The yt project aims to produce an integrated science environment for
collaboratively asking and answering astrophysical questions, encompassing
the creation of initial conditions, the execution of simulations and the
detailed exploration and visualization of the resultant data.  It will
provide a standard framework based on physical quantities for interoperability
between codes. Development of yt is driven by a commitment to Open Science principles
as manifested in participatory development, reproducibility, documented and
approachable code, a friendly and helpful community of users and developers,
and Free and Libre Open Source Software.