[Yt-dev] QuadTree projection now works in parallel

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:37:56 PDT 2011

John, Sam, Stephen,

Thanks very much for testing.  I think maybe this is just about ready
for production; sounds like we should push ahead with swapping it out
for 2.2.  The only remaining test is the light cone stuff, but I was
able to test the source-selection and that worked for me.  It would be
a real feather in our caps I think to release 2.2 that included a
completely new web GUI (which includes PyLab support as well as google
maps-style widgets!), a projection speedup of 3.5x, and a new field
system.  And, even a new logo!

There are a few more optimizations I believe I can apply, which I will
attempt to do over the next little while -- but they are less
invasive.  Mainly these involve moving from pre-generated arrays of
positions to generating positions inside the Cython code on an
as-needed basis.

John -- 350 s to 104 s is pretty good, I think.  We may now be IO
dominated, but if you supply the argument preload="all" it might cut
down even further on the run time.

Thanks, everyone.

-Matt