[Yt-dev] field_info refactor design

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:07:45 PDT 2011

Hi Casey,

I'm back from vacation and ready to start thinking about this again.  :)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Casey W. Stark <caseywstark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt.
> Thanks for the reply. And don't worry about me getting stuck - I've been
> developing frontend stuff on another branch.
> That's a good point - I hadn't thought of data and derived fields with the
> same name. I think I'm confused about how this is supposed to fit together
> now. Here's an example from the current version of the code.
> In the field_info_container module, you have FieldInfoContainer the class,
> and FieldInfo, an instantiation of FieldInfoContainer.

Yup, and FieldInfo is the container for *all* the derived fields that
are meant to be universal.  This is stuff like cosmological over
density, for instance, which broadly speaking has a unique method of
generation independent of code.  (And where the gas relationships are
fully determinable from the parameter file, this class of field can
include things like pressure, sound speed, etc.)  In theory the idea
of a set of universal fields works out better than in practice, for
the most part, simply because of such divergent problem domains.

> Then in the enzo
> frontend fields module, we have:
> EnzoFieldInfo = FieldInfoContainer.create_with_fallback(FieldInfo)
> add_field = EnzoFieldInfo.add_field
> KnownEnzoFields = FieldInfoContainer()
> add_enzo_field = KnownEnzoFields.add_field
> I think I wrote this when I didn't exactly understand the design. I believe
> it should be...
> derivable_enzo_fields = FieldInfo
> add_field = derivable_enzo_fields.add_field
> known_enzo_fields =
> FieldInfoContainer.create_with_fallback(derivable_enzo_fields)
> add_enzo_field = known_enzo_fields.add_field

This sounds good -- an important semantic difference.  Note that one
reason we keep add_field around is for legacy code which uses it,
particularly in users' ~/.yt/my_plugins.py file.

> The part that is confusing me is in the frontend StaticOutput classes. Here
> it is in enzo data_structures.
> class EnzoStaticOutput(StaticOutput):
>     _fieldinfo_fallback = EnzoFieldInfo
>     _fieldinfo_known = KnownEnzoFields
>     def __init__(...):
>         self.field_info =
> FieldInfoContainer.create_with_fallback(self._fieldinfo_fallback)
> So it looks like _fieldinfo_known is never used and we make a new
> FieldInfoContainer instead. In this case, how does field_info know which
> fields can be in an enzo data file and which ones exist in the current
> staticoutput?

Ah, but fieldinfo_known *is* used, but in the base class.  Check
yt/data_objects/hierarchy.py .  What happens is that known_fields is
queried and if the field is found, it is added to the pf.field_info.
This way the definition is grabbed from the list of known items.

> The way I thought about it, each StaticOutput object would have a copy of
> that frontend's known_field object and customize the fields during __init__.
> Something like...
> self.field_info = self._fieldinfo_known.setup_for_output(self)
> I'll try to stare at the code some more, but if anyone has experience with
> this part of yt, please let me know what you think and I can code it up.
> Best,
> Casey

I think that's sort of how I aimed to implement it, too.

Talk to you soon,

Matt