[Yt-dev] Mercurial repos to Bitbucket

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 09:43:49 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Rick Wagner <rpwagner at sdsc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Matthew Turk wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> There've been lots of problems with the hg server on hg.enzotools.org.
>> It's time to move from there to somewhere else.
>>
>> I propose going to Bitbucket.  This enables many things: forking,
>> easier collaboration, pull reports, code review, and so on and so
>> forth.  Additionally, it will eliminate the timeouts that have plagued
>> the hg.enzotools.org server.  Bitbucket allows for domain redirection,
>> so all the existing paths should continue to work, they will just be
>> served by a different server.
>>
>> Can I get [+-][01] on going to Bitbucket?
>>
>> I'm trying to get us the 'yt' username, but haven't had luck yet.  If
>> the yt username is unavailable as of Sunday night, we'll need a backup
>> name.  I'd like to put this up for a vote:
>>
>> yt_analysis
>> ytanalysis
>> yt_astro
>> ytastro
>> [other]
>>
>> Can I get a vote on that, or any other suggestions?
>
> My vote is 0, but I would ask if there is any benefit to having YT on Google Code, since that's where Enzo is. I don't know if there are any cross-project features that could be taken advantage of.

I'm not sure that there are any benefits to GC.  One additional issue
is that we can't have Google Code handle any domain redirections, but
Bitbucket will.  BB is also much more baked-in in terms of support for
DVCS, with things like pull requests, a clearer specification of
clones/forks, and a bit better viewing of divergences between forks.
Each project lives under a username, as well, so we can have many
projects affiliated with whatever our final username is, not just the
primary repo -- much like we do on hg.e.o now.

I also think the user and developer communities behind Enzo and yt are
different, and I think BB is better suited to our mode of operation.

-Matt