[yt-dev] sqlite parameter files storage

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Mon Dec 19 15:16:31 PST 2011

Matt,

> Here's the architecture I was aiming for, although I was hoping to
> have a lot more done before sharing it with anybody.  Additionally,
> the idea would be to stage these items.
>
>  * Authentication of users: either through OpenID or local items
>  * Pastebinning of data up to a given size
>  * Storing, as a side effect of data pastebins, a mapping between
> simulation data and simulation parameters, mediated by the 'minimal
> representation'
>  * Projects, like we have on the hub now
>  * Pastes, like we have on the pastebin now

I think that this a great idea. The one idea that comes to mind is
that it would be nice if there were public/private permissions to
things that get uploaded. I can't help but wonder if there's any
open-source tool already out there that we could build on top of and
save time? Perhaps not...

> Nathan's concern is a valid one, and I would be
> loathe to require that someone manage lustre striping for fundamental
> components of yt, but I am otherwise indifferent to the usage of
> SQLite.

It should be possible to add a check that sees if the home directory
is on lustre, and makes the change (with permission), if necessary,
kind of like the bootstrap script does already for mercurial stuff.

> (As a note, I find it pretty jarring to have to dig up your footnotes.
>  It's way easier if you include them inline in the text, set off with
> spaces or something.  Maybe I'm the only one ...)

I usually put them inline, but I thought that these links were
particularly boring, so I just saved them until the end.

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us
http://stephenskory.com/