[yt-dev] Arguments to scripts

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:31:09 PST 2011

> something like yt.argv.  That way, anyone who has been pull arguments from
> the command line can simply replace sys.argv with yt.argv, or something like
> that.  As long as the substitution is intuitive, people won't have to go
> parsing through source or documentation when they go back to an old script
> and find it doesn't work anymore.

If we go with 2+4 and "leftovers," what would be the actual behavior of

from yt.mods import *
import sys.argv
print sys.argv
?

Would that still give me the same thing as before, and additionally
create yt.optparse and yt.leftovers, with yt getting its info from
these features?  Or will sys.argv get replaced with something else?

d.

> Britton
>

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's the big problem, yes.  I would be fine with yt taking over
>> things like "--help" and whatnot, which are reserved.  But I would
>> also note that we're actually *changing* the functionality, not
>> *removing* it if we go with 2+4.  It says, if you want your script to
>> be able to run in parallel yt, or to use these yt commands, here's how
>> you interface with the yt argument parsing.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I think I still prefer option 3.  I'm in favor of making the system of
>> > parsing yt args cleaner, but options 1, 2, and 4 feel to me like we're
>> > saying in order to use yt, you have to trade in some python
>> > functionality
>> > that you've been using.  Is the only reason we wouldn't go with option 3
>> > that it will not catch typos in flags that we intended to be for yt?
>> >
>> > Britton

Sent from my computer.