[yt-dev] QC for 2.3 release

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:53:56 PST 2011

Hi Matt,

> For ticket #343, I can put the developer documentation with all the
> other Guilty Sparks (haha?) of developer documentation:
> http://yt-project.org/docs/2.2/advanced/developing.html , even if
> those get moved around (maybe to top level?)

Sounds good. Yes, I think the developer docs will be top level, and I
think they should be farily prominant, since a LOT of yt will always
remain buried in the source for hte simple reason that there is so
much of it and so few of us. What we really need is a lifeline for
motivated people who are generally unafraid of source but unsure of
where to begin with yt. I will help out with this in the coming days.

> For ticket #333, I am at a loss.  The cookbook idea in the comments is
> good, so I will add a cookbook recipe, but where would a description
> of these go inside the narrative docs?  The best place under
> "Analyzing" seems to be
> http://yt-project.org/docs/2.2/analyzing/objects.html but I think
> these are a bit advanced for that.  Ideas?

Please send me a link to the code, or perhaps someone with more
knowledge of how the isocontouring works and what it is good for can
jump in. I'm not sure how to fit it in to docs until I know what it
does.

> For ticket #334, I think we need a whole new section on how to deal
> with fields that are on disk and that are derived.  This would
> probably have to include "How does yt read in a data file, what does
> it do when it finds a field on disk, how can you control this
> behavior" and so on.  Where should this go?  Should I write the whole
> thing, or will someone work through it a bit with me?

This would go under "Using and Manipulating Objects and Fields", and I
tihnk it is quite important. I think we need to do a better job of
pushing the basic ideas about how yt understands and works with data
objects in a generic fasion. I'd be happy to help write/rewrite this
section.

> For ticket #336, I am at a loss for where and why this would be
> documented besides "RAMSES data loading now works correctly in
> parallel."  Should this section be reworked?
> http://yt-project.org/docs/2.2/analyzing/loading_data.html

Hmm. I agree with you here. I think just "RAMSES data loading now
works in parallel" in the release notes should be fine.