[Yt-dev] precision in io

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 06:02:21 PDT 2011

Hi Stephen and Geoffrey,

I would prefer we stick with the longer IO output.  The reason is not
as much that we believe that a halo truly does exist with that
specified precision, but to do our very best to ensure that we
communicate between sessions the precise location.  This may also come
into play with very high precision runs.

My personal preference would be to utilize an all-binary storage
format as our *primary* storage format and then allow ASCII for
secondary, caveat emptor purposes.  I believe that both the IRATE
group and the Galacticus group are pushing forward with halo
cataloging methods that will be binary.

-Matt