[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 14:28:48 PDT 2011

I would +1 New York if I didn't know how much hotels cost, and how
difficult they can be to book.

That having been said, if we're going to go to hubs, for maximum
cheapness, I would strongly +1 Chicago (because even if we stay at
O'hare hotels, the Blue line is right there to go straight to Wicker
Park, home of the world's most yt-appropriate coffee shop:
http://www.thewormholecoffee.com/_/HOME.html) or +1 Minneapolis,
because it is almost as awesome as Chicago.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Casey W. Stark <caseywstark at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> which I have included below.  My feeling from talking to others is
>>> that for it to be useful, we would need both beginner and advanced
>>> topics.  My list is at the bottom of this email -- after writing this
>>> out I kind of came around and felt like there is enough material to
>>> fill up a few sessions.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'd like to solicit some thoughts on this.  Pretty much it
>>> comes down to:
>>>
>>> 1a) Physical (likely spring), virtual (anytime) or no workshop?
>>> 1b) If Physical, where?  (Specifically, which institutions or regions
>>> would you prefer, and could you volunteer your location?)
>>> 2) What do you think of the pseudo-agenda below?
>>>
>>> One last item is that I was the most skeptical about the feasibility
>>> of a workshop, and I have been brought around by other developers --
>>> who have impressed upon me that not only could we do this, we really
>>> *ought* to do it.  If not now, at some point in the future.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone,
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>>
>>> * Agenda Ideas *
>>>
>>> = Using yt =
>>>
>>> - Introduction to yt -
>>> Jargon and terminology
>>> Installation
>>> How to start up
>>> How to write a script
>>> How to examine a simulation's characteristics
>>> Examining individual grids
>>> Slicing
>>> Projecting
>>> Command-line tool
>>>
>>> - Data handling in yt -
>>> How to think of data objects in yt
>>> What is a field? (also: my_plugins.py)
>>> Basics of select/instantiating a data object
>>> How to call and use a derived quantity
>>> What DQs and DOs are available?
>>> Phase plots (1-, 2-, 3-D)
>>>
>>> - Visualizing data -
>>> Projections, slices, and plot modifications
>>> Raw, stripped down plot objects
>>> Manually plotting data
>>>
>>> - Advanced data objects -
>>> Accessing attributes of data objects
>>> Cutting and subselecting data from objects
>>> Creating new data objects
>>> 1D and 2D objects
>>> Creating fields
>>> Clump finding
>>> Finding points
>>>
>>> - Advanced visualization -
>>> Writing your own plot callback
>>> Fixed resolution buffers
>>>
>>> - Volume rendering -
>>> What is "Volume Rendering"?
>>> How to use the camera
>>> How to write a transfer function
>>> Making animations: camera paths and normalization
>>> "Photo-realistic"
>>>
>>> - Astrophysical Analysis -
>>> Halo finding
>>> Halo analysis / halo profiler
>>> Halo mass functions
>>> Spectral energy distribution
>>> Star particle analysis
>>> Absorption spectra
>>>
>>> - Large data analysis -
>>> How to run in parallel
>>> What kind of datasets work well with parallelism?

>>> Documentation