[Yt-dev] Introducing the yt hub

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:59:58 PDT 2011

Hi all,

To follow up on Britton's email, he and I have been working on
automating and streamlining this process.  We have created a command,
"hubsubmit", that will submit a mercurial repository to the Hub; it
builds on the work of the "bootstrap_dev" command in getting users up
and running on Bitbucket and with Mercurial.

The idea is that if someone has created a set of scripts, or has an
existing repository, it should be easy to submit that to the Hub.

The command proceeds as follows:

  * Check if a repository exists in the current working directory (or,
optionally, the directory specified by --repo or -R)
  * If not: prompt the user whether or not they would like to create
one.  If so, create and import all current contents.  If not, quit.
  * Check if a BitBucket URL is already in the set of paths in the
repository; i.e., if it is a push alias.  If not, prompt the user for
creating a repo on BitBucket and push to that location.
  * Push to BitBucket URL.
  * Prompt for Hub username/password
  * Prompt for necessary hub submission stuff
  * Submit!

If you could test it out (and if you run into a low-hanging bug or
ugliness, feel free to fix it!) that would be great.  Britton or I can
remove any 'test' submissions you make along the way.

The idea here is to make it ridiculously easy to submit to the Hub --
just one step harder than the pastebin.  I think this is a good step
in that direction, but I'd love some testing and suggestions!

-Matt