[Yt-dev] yt-project.org

Brian O'Shea bwoshea at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 03:24:27 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:

> > Someone has yt.org, but they're not doing anything with it.  If
> > they're squatting on it to sell, I'd be willing to throw a couple
> > dollars that way.
>
> Two letter TLDs are super expensive. Perhaps less so because it's a
> .org, but I'm guessing it's not chump change.
>
> What's wrong with yt.spacepope.org? That's non-denominational... well,
> non-code specific. May his tongue be forked.
>
> +0, because I want to be contrarian, so no +1, and I am not really for
> or against it strongly.

I think the problem with spacepope.org is that the TLD could be perceived as
being un-serious, despite the fact (or perhaps because of the fact) that
it's hilarious.  For example, I would feel a bit dumb giving a talk at NSF
headquarters where I put up "yt (Turk et al. 2011; yt.spacepope.org)," or
more generally when trying to sell the code to somebody who doesn't know any
more about it than what they can infer from the domain name.