[Yt-dev] Enzo parameter file reading change

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:08:49 PDT 2011

Hi all,

As discussed over on yt-users, people have requested that the
parameter file reading be changed for Enzo, to scrape the entire
parameter file.

I've committed a change and pushed to *my* fork of yt on BitBucket.
The change is shorter than this email.

https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt/changeset/e96282130e63

Please pull this revision and see if it works for your parameter
files.  It works for mine.  If it works globally, I will push to the
main repo.  A test script is here:
http://paste.enzotools.org/show/1751/ which will print out the
conversion factors between the two.  There are other items to check as
well.  This is potentially a HUGE change that might have errors, so I
ask for your testing on it!  If I get several testings, I will push,
otherwise I will back it out.

There are three things I wanted to bring up:

1) Enzo 3.0 will feature a much better configuration system, making
most of this irrelevant.
2) I would like to move away from using the CurrentTimeIdentifer as a
unique ID to using MetaDataDatasetUUID as that identifier.  This will
break existing pickles.  I think the natural time to do this is at
yt-3.0.  [+-][01]?
3) With yt-3.0, I would like to remove the dict-like access to the
parameter file we currently have, which currently queries *FOUR*
dictionaries in order:

units
time_units
parameters
conversion_factors

I'd like to split this into at least parameters and units.  [+-][01]?