[Yt-dev] precision in io

Geoffrey So gsiisg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:19:33 PDT 2011

I am all for binary, especially since storage is a big problem for some of
the bigger simulations.

I am just curious, though, which binary are the other simulation groups
pushing for?  Is there a consistent way of storing binary data in YT?  I am
asking because currently sometimes I pickle my own data or store them in
hdf5 .h5 binary or in the .yt files, and I didn't realize the different
binaries are not compatible until recently.

Are we looking for a universal YT way of storing binaries?  One big
advantage would be everyone being able to read the binary if we all store
them the same way, and I'm sure there's many other advantages.  But the
headache is everyone agreeing to store them whichever way.
From
G.S.