[Yt-dev] Debugging Reason and next steps

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:03:11 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I added some debugging statements to Reason that get turned on with
the -d flag.  These will output whenever a payload is added, whenever
a heartbeat is felt, whenever payloads are delivered, and with the
input/output of cell contents and executed code.  This should do it:

yt serve -d

(There are also the -f and -o options.)

Also, I discovered that I added a Python 2.7-only feature without
thinking, so Reason currently won't work with < 2.7.

http://docs.python.org/library/threading.html#threading.Event.wait

This gets used in extdirect_repl.py on line 162 -- if somebody has a
better idea how to handle this, it'd be great if we could simply
replace it.  Otherwise, we'll just mandate 2.7.

As it stands there are a couple big fish that need to be landed before
this can be public: debugging and lots of use (although I am now using
it all the time, almost exclusively, for analyzing my data), volume
rendering widget (maybe something that looks like a less busy version
of the widget I made with Traits in 2009?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewturk/4189749374/ ), phase plot /
histogram of currently visible rectangular prism in the plot window
widget, colorbar for plot window, and a few other things that are
slipping my mind.

Anyway, because it's still in flux and a bit finicky in places, it's
probably better not to publicize it too much.  Once it's working
better we can have a go at asking for beta testers and whatnot.